What Is Podcast Revolution?
PodRev wants to see an independent media revolution and celebrates the citizen broadcaster. Podcast Revolution is a podcast network and it isn’t. We celebrate the individuality of our member independent broadcasters, but serve up their content under one umbrella. PodRev is an internet radio on demand station. We’ve even got a music on demand channel. The main site features an evolving team of podcasts and podcasters collaborating, a place for fans of the medium to find new shows they like, and a way to encourage new people into the love of radio on demand: podcasting. Oh, and we want that all to be easy, ad-free, and free to use for everybody. For that reason, there’s some merch for sale and a way to donate to the project. The ideas are bigger than the funding. There is no funding. There are lots of ideas. Anything anyone kicks in will go directly the costs of keeping online, developing mobile apps, and the tech or code necessary to keep improving ease of use for podcasters and listeners alike from any device. Still, with all that said, before supporting us, support the podcasters. Unless you’re a podcaster somehow making scratch at it. Then you should probably at least buy a coffee mug or something. Sheesh.
Why are you reading all of this fine print and not listening to some great audio? Seriously though, if you’re here because of one the podcasters who participates, let’s talk. First, thank you for stopping by. Second, please consider all of the different ways you can support that independent voice that encouraged your visit with us today. Check out other stuff that broadcaster is associated with too. Listening to the show is a great way to support your favorite broadcaster, of course. Visiting their website helps a little. (Following them on social media too.) If you’re able, all broadcasters have ways to chip in on their websites. Donate to them. Tell your friends about the show, and shout out a thank your favorite broadcaster on social media. Let’s all encourage these independent voices putting themselves out there on whatever free time they can drudge up. (We sure don’t mind if you tell all of your tribe about PodRev either. Golly, that helps the mission quite a bit.)
The site is supposed to be simple and mobile friendly. 75% of podcast listeners do so on their mobile device. The heartbeat of the site is our player. You can switch between shows and get all of that show’s content, download episodes, and get thousands of hours of great independent talk radio. Or click on our menu to check out PodRev Music, a music on demand streaming service we’re constantly developing which offers ad-free and always free streaming music, playlist creation, and absolute privacy. (Something the big music streaming companies do not respect.)
Because we’re volunteer run, we really can’t offer any warranty of service. But it’s a free and ad-free service for you to use if you like the sorts of audio we put out there. PodRev curates internet talk radio through its volunteer membership. PodRev music curates streaming music from other legal services that pay royalties to artists and offers a way for listeners to curate their own playlists without some big company tracking your music habits. They’ll see the plays and that it came from us. Big whoop. As with all of the MediaRevolt services, the content creators, owners and purveyors get the click credit they rightfully deserve, but we try to serve it up as anonymously as possible.
Nobody works for PodRev and it’s not a business. It’s a volunteer run service. Sometimes we have glitches and it takes a minute or a day to get things back to normal. By using our sites, you are agreeing that these are as-is services, and the user is responsible for whatever experience or content they explore. PodcastRevolution offers no warranty and accepts no responsibility. For entertainment purposes only. Please, no wagering.
If you’re interested in joining Podcast Revolution network use our contact form. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your show. Use a valid email address. Seriously, that’s been an issue ever since we started this adventure. Tell us about how you make time to podcast, your hopes and challenges. Be sure to include your website’s address and your podcast’s RSS feed. We’re open to shows on any genre. We’re very interested in diversity. We love storytellers. Our current lineup of hosts will all be invited to vote on potential new podcasts to join PodRev. If for some reason they don’t opt for your show, we’re starting a secondary network as soon as we need it for fresh voices that we hope to help encourage your growth with.
To have your show associated with us you will need:
- ability to record a podcast
- a website or a desire to get one going
- an iTunes friendly RSS feed, or a plan to have one on your website
- broadcasters just starting out and starting on our fresh voices platform can use SoundCloud and their RSS service. It’s not very professional, and hard for you to self-syndicate on iTunes and stuff, so this is just for folks starting out and testing the waters.
- an MP3 podcast, with a plan for how you will host those mp3 files
- if you have a video show or vlog, a plan to make it available in mp3 format as a podcast
- an existing podcast, even if it’s just one episode, and a way for us to stream it
- ability to commit to your show and collaborate with others when interested
- all music must be owned or licensed to you, or royalties are being paid
We’re also interested in developing shows, and have some ideas too. Feel free to pitch concepts or your hosting abilities. Just know the above steps will have to be taken. We’ll all help a great new voice, storyteller or concept or provide the resources needed to help yourself.
Also, we’ve got some values that you’ll have to have too.
- no hate speech – no bullying – no discrimination
- no placing demands on other people’s time
- research your facts and opinions – be factual
- apologize when incorrect
- be empathetic towards others
- be willing to try new things and to have fun whenever possible
- be polite with other members, shout them out on social media, and collaborate when possible
If discussing politics, policy or current events, some of those values can get tricky, especially in today’s era of #fakenews and #alternativefacts. We want to be open to all sorts of voices, but also want to maintain a safe space for Progressives and Independents. For that reason, we’re not interested in shows that pander to any single political party or their talking points, religious affiliation or lack there of, or about a commercial brand. Conservative? Great, as long as you’re also critical of the Republican Party or party politics as a whole. No fanboys. Talking religion? Fantastic, just don’t try to convert everyone to your brand. Talking literature or comic books? Super-cool, as long as you’re not focusing one publisher. Selling a product every episode? We’re not a good fit. By applying for having your show included in PodRev, you are accepting that your show could be excluded for any reason based on the above.
Once you’re a member of PodRev, you are always invited to vote on new shows as they apply to PodRev. Majority wins. If you don’t vote by deadline, it’s an abstain. In case of a tie, the decision is made by the founding members. The only reasons we use this method is for members to protect the brand, because we think we’re a part of something special.
What are the broadcaster benefits of PodRev?
- It’s a great place to collab and learn from other podcasters.
- PodRev uses your existing RSS feed and pulls your mp3s from wherever you host them. That means any listener streaming or downloading your content is getting it from you, and if you check your stats, they’re showing up.
- PodcastRevolution is all about the content creators. We encourage visitors and listeners to become fans of the creators and support the shows they like.
- PodRev celebrates the independence and individuality of the indie broadcaster. You do you. We’re rooting for you and trying to help get your work out there.
- PodcastRevolution is the audio wing of MediaRevolt.org, which is always creating tools for indie media. PodRev broadcasters get a lot of support tools for the DIY media game to help you grow your success, tackle marketing in your spare time, grow your team, and hopefully spend more time making great content.